I dug out my ESP8266 after a long time, because I wanted to do a few electronic toys. Thing is, I've always found the Lua docs to be abyssimally bad.
Lucky me, a friend of mine recommended that I check out micropython, instead of trying to fiddle with a language I'm uncomfortable with, or worse, a shitty native runtime language (C, C++ for arduino seems better, but it's still C++).
My ESP8266 dev boards are some random chinese low-quality devices that are doing the job fine for me, but not much more. One thing they lack is documentation.
I don't know the specifics of this board's capabilities, notably because I completely lost the original product ID / page, but the 1m esp8266 build of the MicroPython firmware works well for me.
I used the python
esptool package to wipe and flash the boards' firmwares, but I needed a few tries because:
- my user needs to be in the
uucpgroup to properly communicate without rights restrictions
- a linux kernel update seems to break new serial devices
- the Orca screen reader software seems to load a tty management kernel module (
brlttl), which breaks new serial links for me
Once those issues were cleared up (for the Orca part, I simply uninstalled the software, as I didn't manage to set it up before that, so it was still useless to me), I managed to properly wipe the board, and then flash the firmware on it.
$ python -m esptool --port /dev/ttyUSB0 erase_flash $ python -m esptool --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --baud 460800 write_flash --flash_size=detect 0 Downloads/esp8266-1m-20210902-v1.17.bin